Created in New York's Waldorf Astoria Hotel in the 1890s, the original salad was simply apples, celery and mayonnaise. For a sandwich, stuff the chicken salad into pita pockets.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: March 2011
- 1 1/4 cup Balkan-style plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 apple cored, cut in eighths and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 ribs celery thinly sliced
- 1 cup seedless red grape halved
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chive
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon liquid honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
MethodDrain yogurt in cheesecloth-lined sieve set over bowl for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in large nonstick skillet, toast pecans over medium heat until golden, about 2 minutes; transfer to large bowl.
Cut chicken horizontally in half to within 1 inch (2.5 cm) of edge; open like book. In same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook chicken until no longer pink inside, about 6 minutes. Let cool; shred and add to pecans.
Stir in yogurt, apple, celery, grapes, chives, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper until combined.
Nutritional facts Pper each of 6 servings: about
- Sodium 256 mg
- Protein 20 g
- Calories 240.0
- Total fat 12 g
- Potassium 414 mg
- Cholesterol 56 mg
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Total carbohydrate 14 g
- Iron 6.0
- Folate 6.0
- Calcium 6.0
- Vitamin A 3.0
- Vitamin C 13.0