Shortcuts - Roasting is quick with specialty-cut small roasts. - Italian seasoning has more than one herb so you don't need several kinds.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2004
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon bottled minced cloves of garlic or 4 cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
- 1 sirloin tip quick roast
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- 4 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes slivered
- 1 teaspoon wine vinegar
In ovenproof skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium heat; fry onions and all but 1 tsp (5 mL) of the garlic until golden, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine remaining oil and garlic, herb seasoning, salt and pepper; rub all over roast. Place on onions; roast in 350°F (180°C) oven until meat thermometer registers 155°F (68°C), about 50 minutes. Transfer to cutting board; tent with foil and let stand for 10 minutes for temperature to rise 5°F (3°C) for medium. Slice thinly.
Meanwhile, sprinkle flour over onions; cook over medium heat for 1 minute. Whisk in beef stock and tomatoes; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add vinegar. Serve with roast.
Nutritional facts <b>Per serving:</b> about
- Sodium 424 mg
- Protein 28 g
- Calories 306.0
- Total fat 17 g
- Cholesterol 59 mg
- Saturated fat 4 g
- Total carbohydrate 11 g
- Iron 23.0
- Folate 10.0
- Calcium 4.0
- Vitamin A 1.0
- Vitamin C 13.0