- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: February 2011
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 pieces veal shank (1 inch/2.5 cm thick), about 4 lb (2 kg)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 6 anchovy fillets rinsed and minced
- 1 tablespoon crumbled dried sage
- 3/4 cups white wine
- 3/4 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 can whole tomatoes purÃ©ed
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 lemon rind
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
MethodIn shallow dish, stir together flour and half each of the salt and pepper; press veal shanks into flour mixture, turning to coat. Reserve remaining flour mixture.
In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown veal shanks, in batches. Remove and set aside.
Drain fat from skillet. Add onion, garlic, anchovies, sage and remaining salt and pepper; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
Add wine and bring to boil, scraping up browned bits; add to slow cooker. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, lemon rind and 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the lemon juice to slow cooker; stir to combine. Add veal shanks.
Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, 6 to 8 hours. Skim off any fat. Transfer veal shanks to serving platter; cover and keep warm.
Whisk reserved flour mixture with 3 tbsp (45 mL) water; whisk into liquid in slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until thickened, about 15 minutes. Discard lemon rind. Stir in remaining lemon juice. Pour over veal shanks. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 542 mg
- Protein 37 g
- Calories 308.0
- Total fat 12 g
- Potassium 945 mg
- Cholesterol 149 mg
- Saturated fat 4 g
- Total carbohydrate 11 g
- Iron 26.0
- Folate 19.0
- Calcium 9.0
- Vitamin A 4.0
- Vitamin C 35.0