Chipotle Pulled Chicken on Corn Spoon Bread
This recipe makes 6 servings
|total fat||27 g|
|sat. fat||8 g|
- Portion size: 6
Caroline Gray of Pointe-Claire, Que., won accolades and first place with her Mexican-inspired recipe. Corn flour, which is finer than the usual cornmeal and closer to the texture of all-purpose flour, gives the bread its soft, appealing texture. It's available in grocery stores.
- 4 4small boneless skinless chicken breastboneless skinless chicken breasts, (about 1-1/2 lb/750 g)
- 1/2 1/2oniononions, chopped
- 1 1clove garliccloves of garlic
- 1 sprig 1sprigfresh coriander
- 1 tsp 1tspsalt Sauce
- 1 tbsp 1tbspvegetable oil
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupfinely diced oniononions
- 1 1clove garliccloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) 1can (28 oz/796 mL)tomatotomatoes
- 2 2chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 tbsp 2tbsptomato paste
- 1 tsp 1tspdried oregano
- 1 tsp 1tspsalt
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchopped fresh coriander Corn Spoon Bread
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupcorn flour
- 2 tsp 2tspbaking powder
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1 1eggeggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupsour cream
- 3 tbsp 3tbspvegetable oil
- 1 cup 1cupcreamed corn
- 3/4 cup 3/4cupshredded extra old Cheddar cheese Garnish
- 1 1avocadoavocados, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupsour cream
- 6 6coriander leafcoriander leaves
In saucepan of boiling water, bring chicken, onion, garlic, coriander and salt to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until chicken is no longer pink inside, about 20 minutes. Drain, discarding onion, garlic and coriander. Let cool on cutting board for 10 minutes. Using fingers or 2 forks, shred chicken. Set aside.
Meanwhile, in separate saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat; fry onion and garlic until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. In blender, puree tomatoes, chipotle peppers and tomato paste; add to onion mixture. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced to 1-1/2 cups (425 mL), about 35 minutes.
Add reserved chicken, oregano and salt ; cook until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in coriander. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.)
Corn Spoon Bread:
Line 8-inch (2 L) square metal cake pan with parchment paper; set aside.
Meanwhile, in large bowl, whisk together corn flour, baking powder and salt. In separate bowl, whisk together egg, sour cream and oil; stir in corn and cheese. Stir into flour mixture until combined. Scrape into prepared pan. Bake in centre of 400°F (200°C) oven until golden and cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool slightly in pan on rack. Cut into 12 triangles.
Serve chicken mixture over corn bread. Garnish with avocado, sour cream and coriander leaves. Makes 6 servings.
Additional information : Download the FREE runner-up recipes from Candian Living's Cook of the Year 2007 and 2008 contest.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2007