Rhubarb Almond Crumble Squares
This recipe makes 16 squares servings
|Per square: about||-|
|total fat||9 g|
|sat. fat||5 g|
|dietary fibre||2 g|
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Total time : 4 hours (including cooling)
- Portion size: 16 squares
This springtime twist on classic date squares features a tangy-sweet pink rhubarb filling. Look for fresh stalks of rhubarb that are firm and have the most vibrant colour, but discard the inedible leaves before cooking. If fresh rhubarb is unavailable, measure the same amount of frozen rhubarb, then thaw and drain.
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsquick-cooking rolled oats, (not instant)
- 2/3 cup 2/3cupall-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupgranulated sugar
- 1/2 cup 1/2cuppacked brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp 3/4tspcinnamon
- 1 pinch 1pinchsalt
- 2/3 cup 2/3cupcold unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 tbsp 3tbspsliced almonds Rhubarb Filling:
- 6 cups 6cupschopped fresh rhubarb
- 3/4 cup 3/4cupgranulated sugar
- 1 tsp 1tspgrated orange zest
- 1/3 cup 1/3cuporange juice
- 1 tbsp 1tbspall-purpose flour
Rhubarb Filling: In large saucepan, bring rhubarb, sugar, orange zest, orange juice and flour to boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 1-3/4 cups and space remains when spoon is drawn through, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Meanwhile, whisk together rolled oats, flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt; with fingers or pastry blender, blend in butter until crumbly. Press two-thirds evenly into 9-inch (2.5 L) square cake pan. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes.
Spread rhubarb filling over base. Toss remaining oat mixture with almonds, gently pressing into small clumps; sprinkle over rhubarb mixture. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until crumble is golden, about 40 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on rack before cutting into squares.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2012