This recipe makes 16 cups servings
|Per 1/2 cup (125 mL): about||-|
|sat. fat||0 g|
- Portion size: 16 cups (4 L)
This mix of fruit preserved in rum is a fabulous way to enjoy summer fruits right through the winter spooned over ice cream or pancakes. Begin preparing the mixture when strawberries are in season and add seasonal fruit right into fall. Each addition should be about 1 lb (500 g) of prepared fruit. To have the Rumtopf ready by December, make the last addition by the first week of October.
- 3 cups 3cupssmall strawberrystrawberries, (1 lb/500 g),hulled
- 6-3/4 cups 6-3/4cupsgranulated sugar
- 4 cups 4cupsamber rum
- 3-1/2 cups (875 mL) 3-1/2cups (875 mL)raspberryraspberries or blackberries, (1 lb/500 g)
- 4 cups 4cupssweet cherrysweet cherries, pierced several times (1-1/4 lb/625 g)
- 2-3/4 cups (675 mL) 2-3/4cups (675 mL) blueberryblueberries, (1 lb/500 g)
- 2 cups 2cupssliced pitted peeled peachpeaches, (about 1-1/2 lb/750 g whole)
- 3 cups (750 mL) 3cups (750 mL)sliced pitted plumplums, (1 lb/500 g whole)
In sterilized wide-mouthed 16-cup (4 L) jar with tight-fitting lid, mix strawberries with 1 cup (250 mL) plus 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the sugar; let stand for 30 minutes. Slowly pour in rum, without stirring. Cover and store in refrigerator, stirring after a few days to dissolve sugar.
Allowing 2 weeks between additions, add fruit as follows: in bowl, stir raspberries with 1 cup (250 mL) plus 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the sugar; let stand for 30 minutes. Stir into strawberries. Cover and store in refrigerator, stirring after a few days to dissolve sugar.
Repeat with cherries, blueberries, peaches and plums.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: June 2005