Sausage Rigatoni Bake
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||23 g|
|sat. fat||9 g|
- Portion size: 8
This piquant pasta bake is perfect to make and freeze for any get-together. If using hot Italian sausage, omit the hot pepper flakes.
- 1-1/2 lb 1-1/2lbItalian sausageItalian sausages
- 1 1oniononions, chopped
- 4 4cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp 1tspItalian herb seasoning
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsphot pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup 1/2cuptomato paste
- 2 cans (each 28 oz/796 mL) 2cans (each 28 oz/796 mL)tomatotomatoes
- 6 cups 6cupsrigatoni pasta
- 1 jar (313 mL) 1jar (313 mL)roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 2 cups 2cupsshredded provolone cheese
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchopped fresh parsley
Cut sausage into 1/2-inch (1 cm) chunks. In Dutch oven, brown sausage in batches over medium-high heat. Transfer to bowl.
Pour off fat from pan. Add onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, hot pepper flakes, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until onion is softened, 5 minutes. Add tomato paste; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, breaking up with spoon; bring to boil. Return sausage and any accumulated juices to pan. Reduce heat and simmer until thin liquid at edge is evaporated, 1 hour.
Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until almost tender, about 6 minutes. Drain; return to pot. Stir in sausage mixture, red peppers, 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the cheese and parsley. Transfer to greased 13- x 9-inch (3 L) glass baking dish. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate until cold. Cover with plastic wrap and overwrap with heavy-duty foil; freeze for up to 2 weeks. Thaw in refrigerator for 48 hours. Continue with recipe, adding 1 hour to baking time.)
Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover with foil and bake in 375°F (190°C) oven until filling is bubbly and topping is golden and crusty, about 30 minutes.