|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||4 g|
|sat. fat||1 g|
- Portion size: 6
Heat Rating: Fiery Almost any kind of fish is suitable for this fabulously tasty meal in a bowl, but we recommend halibut or catfish.
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuptamarind pulp
- 1 tbsp 1tbspcoriander seeds
- 1-1/2 tsp 1-1/2tspcumin seeds
- 1-1/2 tsp 1-1/2tspfennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppeppercorns
- 2 tbsp 2tbspshrimp paste
- 4 stalks 4stalkstender lemongrass, trimmed
- 15 15dried red hot pepperdried red hot peppers
- 8 8shallotshallots, chopped
- 4 4red finger hot pepperred finger hot peppers, chopped
- 1 1clove garliccloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp 2tbspminced gingerroot
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuppacked palm sugar or light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp 1tbspturmeric
- 2 tsp 2tspsalt
- 1-1/2 lb 1-1/2lbfish filletfish fillets, cut in 2-inch (5 cm) chunks
- 1 lb 1lblarge raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 oz 8ozcleaned squid, sliced
- 1 pks 1pkslaksa noodles or rice stick noodles
- 1 cup 1cupfresh pineapplepineapples
- 1 1English cucumberEnglish cucumbers, coarsely grated
- 1/2 1/2sweet onionsweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuppickled shallotshallots or pickled onions
- 1/2 cup 1/2cuploosely packed small mint leafmint leaves
- Lime wedges
In small saucepan, bring tamarind pulp and 2 cups (500 mL) water to boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain through sieve into large saucepan, pressing with spatula to extract liquid; discard solids. Set aside.
In small skillet, toast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and peppercorns over medium-low heat until fragrant, about 5 minutes. In clean coffee grinder, grind to fine powder; set aside. In same pan and using fork, mash shrimp paste; cook over medium heat, mashing, until crumbly, dry and very smelly. Transfer to food processor.
Slice lemongrass paper-thin; add to food processor.
Break dried hot peppers in half; shake out and discard seeds. In clean coffee grinder, grind until coarse powder. Add to food processor along with chopped shallots, finger hot peppers, garlic, ginger and 1 cup (250 mL) water; purée until fairly smooth. Add to tamarind liquid in saucepan. Stir in 8 cups (2 L) water, sugar, turmeric, salt and coriander seed mixture; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
Add fish; cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Add shrimp; cook for 2 minutes. Add squid; cook for 1 minute.
Meanwhile, bring large pot of water to boil; add noodles. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 15 minutes. (Or, if using rice stick noodles, cook according to package instructions.) Drain; divide among 6 warmed large soup bowls. Keep warm.
Ladle soup over noodles. Top with pineapple, cucumber, onion, pickled shallots, then mint. Serve with lime wedges to squeeze over top.
Additional information :
Milder Version: Reduce the number of dried hot peppers to 5. Replace fresh red finger hot peppers with 1 sweet red pepper.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2003