Spinach Salad with Piquant Currant Dressing
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||12 g|
|sat. fat||3 g|
- Portion size: 8
Make your dressing ahead of time and store it in an airtight jar for easy transporting. Shake just before tossing with the spinach mixture.
- 1/3 cup 1/3cuppine nutpine nuts
- 2 tbsp 2tbspdried currants
- 2 tbsp 2tbspred wine vinegar
- 1 tsp 1tspliquid honey
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsphot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupextra virgin olive oil
- 10 cups 10cupstrimmed fresh spinach or mixed greens, torn
- 1 cup 1cupsliced celery
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupPecorino Romano cheese or kasseri cheese
In skillet, toast pine nuts over medium heat, tossing occasionally, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
In same skillet, combine currants, vinegar, honey, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce; cook, stirring, over medium-low heat until currants plump, 1 minute. Transfer to jar with tight-fitting lid; let cool. Add oil; shake to blend. (Make-ahead: Cover; refrigerate for up to 1 week. Shake before using.)
In large bowl, toss together spinach, celery, pine nuts and cheese. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours.) Pour dressing over top; toss to coat.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2002