St. Lawrence Market Sandwich
This recipe makes 4 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||19 g|
|sat. fat||5 g|
- Portion size: 4
This breaded zucchini-eggplant sandwich is inspired by a Saturday morning favourite at Carousel Bakery in Toronto's St. Lawrence Market.
- 2 2zucchinizucchinis, (1 lb/500 g)
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupall-purpose flour
- 2 2eggeggs
- 1 cup 1cupdry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspdried oregano
- 12 slices (1/4 inch/5 mm thick) 12slices (1/4 inch/5 mm thick)eggplant
- 1 1loaf (8- x 6-inch/20 x 15 cm) focaccia bread or panini bun, (4)
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupsliced roasted red pepperroasted red peppers
- 4 slices 4slicesprovolone cheese or mozzarella cheese
Slice zucchini lengthwise into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick slices; set aside.
Pour flour into shallow dish. In second shallow dish, whisk eggs. In third shallow dish, combine bread crumbs, salt, pepper and oregano.
Dip zucchini and eggplant into flour, turning to coat; shake off excess. Dip into egg mixture, turning to coat and letting excess drip back into dish. Press into bread crumb mixture to coat both sides. Place on waxed paper?lined rimmed baking sheet. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.)
Brush oil over 2 rimmed baking sheets. Arrange vegetables in single layer on sheets; bake in top and bottom thirds of 450°F (230°C) oven, turning vegetables and rotating and switching pans halfway through, until golden, about 15 minutes.
Cut focaccia in half horizontally. Layer zucchini, eggplant, red pepper and cheese on bottom halves; sandwich with top halves. Cut into quarters. Place on rimmed baking sheet; bake in 450°F (230°C) oven until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: August 2006