Sun-Dried Tomato Meat Loaf
- Portion size: 4
This recipe makes 4 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||21 g|
|sat. fat||6 g|
A classic favourite gets updated with shiitake mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes. Leftovers make great sandwiches.
- 1 tbsp 1tbspvegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsthinly sliced shiitake mushroomshiitake mushrooms or white mushrooms
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupminced oniononions
- 1 1stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 2cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp 2tbspbalsamic vinegar or wine vinegar
- 1 1eggeggs
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupdry breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupchopped drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatosun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspdried thyme
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspeach salt and pepper
- 1 lb 1lblean ground beef or lean ground pork Topping:
- 3 tbsp 3tbspchili sauce or ketchup
- 1 tbsp 1tbspDijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspdried thyme
In skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; fry mushrooms, onion, celery and garlic, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar; cook until evaporated, about 30 seconds. Let cool slightly.
Meanwhile, in large bowl and using fork, beat egg; blend in bread crumbs, tomatoes, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix in mushroom mixture and pork. Pack into 8- x 4-inch (1.5 L) loaf pan, mounding top.
Topping: In small bowl, combine chili sauce, mustard and thyme; spread over loaf. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 12 hours.)
Bake in 350°F (180°C) toaster oven until meat thermometer registers 170°F (75°C), 45 to 50 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Drain off fat.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: September 2006