Tangy Beef Pot Roast
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Per each of 8 servings: about||-|
|total fat||13 g|
|sat. fat||5 g|
- Portion size: 6 to 8
There's a tang of vinegar and a touch of ginger in this streamlined version of sauerbraten.
- 1 tbsp 1tbspvegetable oil
- 1 1boneless cross rib pot roastcross rib pot roasts or blade pot roast, (3 lb/1.5 kg)
- 3 cups 3cupssliced oniononions
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsbeef stock or water
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuppacked brown sugar
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupred wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 tsp 1-1/2tspginger
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspground cloves
- 1 1bay leafbay leaves
- 8 8potatopotatoes, halved Sauce:
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupall-purpose flour
- 1 cup 1cuplight sour cream
- 1 1sweet green peppersweet green peppers, sliced
In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat; brown roast, turning with wooden spoons, about 10 minutes. Drain off any fat.
Combine onions, beef stock sugar, vinegar, ginger, salt, pepper, cloves and bay leaf; pour over roast. Cover and cook in 350°F (180°C) oven for 3 hours. Add potatoes; cook, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes or until potatoes and meat are tender. Discard bay leaf. Transfer meat to cutting board. With slotted spoon, transfer onions and potatoes to platter. Cover and keep warm.
Sauce: In small bowl, whisk flour into sour cream; whisk in 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the pan juices. Whisk mixture back into pot. Add green pepper. Bring to boil over high heat; cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until thickened. Slice beef; add to Platter. Serve with sauce.
Additional information :
Brown beef as directed using large skillet. Use 18- to 24-cup (4.5 to 6 L) slow cooker; cook all but Sauce on Low for 7 to 8 hours, or cook on High for 5 hours.
Sauce: Increase flour to 1/2 cup (125 mL); mix as directed and cook along with green pepper on High for 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened.
Source : © CanadianLiving.com