Tempeh and Rice Stuffed Peppers
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Total time : 1-3/4 hours
- Portion size: 6
This recipe makes 6 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||18 g|
|sat. fat||4 g|
Partially freezing tempeh makes grating it a cinch. Nutritional yeast adds a savoury cheese-like dimension to the filling look for it in health food stores. Use medium-size green, red, yellow or orange peppers with flat bottoms.
- 6 6sweet peppersweet peppers
- 1 cup 1cuplong-grain rice, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 2 pkg (each 8 oz/240 g) 2pkg (each 8 oz/240 g)tempeh
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupolive oil
- 1 1oniononions, finely diced
- 1 1stalk celery, finely diced
- 3 3cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupdry white wine or tomato juice
- 3 tbsp 3tbspsodium-reduced soy sauce
- 2 tsp 2tspdried oregano
- 1 tsp 1tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupnutritional yeast flakes, (optional)
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) 1can (28 oz/796 mL)crushed tomatoes
- 2 2bay leafbay leaves
- 1 1fresh basil sprig
About 1 inch (2.5 cm) down from stem end, slice tops off peppers. Reserve tops; scrape out ribs and seeds from peppers.
In saucepan, bring 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) water, rice and salt to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until no liquid remains, 20 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Scrape into bowl; let cool.
Using coarse side of box grater, grate tempeh.
In large skillet, heat half of the oil over medium heat; fry onion, celery and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes. Add tempeh, wine, soy sauce, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook until no liquid remains, about 1 minute.
Scrape over rice. Add parsley, and yeast (if using); toss to combine. Divide stuffing among peppers, mounding tops. Snugly arrange peppers in single layer in 10- x 10- x 4-inch (5 L) baking dish; top with reserved tops.
Mix tomatoes with 1 cup (250 mL) water; spoon around peppers. Tuck bay leaves and basil around edges; drizzle peppers with remaining oil.
Cover with lid or foil; bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until peppers are almost tender, 1 hour. Uncover; bake until tender, 20 minutes.
Source : Canadian Living Vegetarian Collection 2010