Thai Beef Noodle Salad
Thai Beef Noodle Salad
Photography by Matthew Kimura
This recipe makes 6 servings
|Per each of 6 servings: about||-|
|total fat||13 g|
|sat. fat||3 g|
- Portion size: 4 to 6
Flank steak absorbs intense flavours from this marinade. Wear rubber gloves while handling chilies.
- 1 1flank marinating steakflank marinating steaks, (about 1 lb/500 g)
- 1 1English cucumberEnglish cucumbers
- 1 1carrotcarrots, large
- 6 oz 6ozwide rice stick noodles
- 1/4 1/4red onionred onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp 3tbspchopped fresh coriander
- 3 tbsp 3tbspchopped fresh mint
- 3 tbsp 3tbspThai basil leafThai basil leaves or basil leaves
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchopped unsalted peanutunsalted peanuts Marinade
- 2 tbsp 2tbspsoy sauce
- 1 tbsp 1tbspsesame oil
- 1 tbsp 1tbspvegetable oil
- 2 cloves 2clovesgarlic, minced
- 2 tbsp 2tbspgrated gingerroot
- 1 tbsp 1tbspgranulated sugar Dressing
- 1/2 cup 1/2cuphot water
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupgranulated sugar
- 2 tbsp 2tbsplime juice
- 2 tbsp 2tbspfish sauce
- 2 2Thai chili pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
Marinade: In glass baking dish, combine soy sauce, sesame oil, vegetable oil, garlic, ginger and sugar; add steak, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours, turning occasionally. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 12 hours.)
Dressing: In jar with tight-fitting lid, shake water with sugar until dissolved. Add lime juice, fish sauce and chilies; shake to combine. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 5 days.)
Using vegetable peeler, slice cucumber lengthwise into thin strips, slicing around centre seeds. Slice carrot lengthwise into thin strips; set aside.
In large pot of boiling salted water, cook rice noodles for 6 to 7 minutes or until tender.
Drain and chill under cold water; drain and transfer to large bowl. Toss with dressing. Set aside.
Discarding marinade, place steak on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and grill, turning once, until desired doneness, about 8 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer to cutting board and tent with foil; let stand for 5 minutes. Thinly slice against the grain.
Add cucumber, carrot, onion, coriander, mint and basil to noodle mixture; toss to coat. Divide among bowls or plates; top with steak and sprinkle with peanuts.
Additional information : Herbs to harvest from your Thai herb garden:
Chilies, coriander, mint, Thai basil
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: July 2007