Thai Sticky Rice with Northern Thai Sauce
This recipe makes 4 servings
- Portion size: 2 to 4
- 3 cups 3cupslong grain Thai sticky rice Northern Thai Sauce:
- 1 tsp 1tspdried shrimp
- 1 small 1smallshallotshallots, minced
- 2 2Thai bird chiliThai bird chilies, sliced
- 2 tbsp 2tbspfinely grated lemon rind
- 1 tbsp 1tbspvegetable oil
- 1 large 1largeclove of garlic, minced
- 8 ounces 8ounceslean ground beef or pork
- 1-1/2 cup 1-1/2cupcanned tomatoes, drained
- 1 tbsp 1tbspfish sauce
- 2 tsp 2tspsugar
- 2 tsp 2tsplime juice
In large bowl or container, twice volume of rice; cover with 3 inches (8 cm) of water. Soak for at least 8 hours or for up to 24 hours. (Alternately, soak in warm water for about 2 hours.)
Drain rice; place in steamer basket or steamer over boiling water, making sure water does not touch rice. Cover and steam for 25 minutes, or until rice is tender and shiny, adding boiling water to maintain level if necessary. Remove from steamer, breaking up into small clumps. If not serving immediately cover with cloth or lid to prevent from drying out.
Northern Thai Sauce:
Using mortar and pestle grind together dried shrimp, shallot, chilies and lemon rind.
In skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry garlic for 30 seconds. Add shrimp mixture; stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add beef; stir-fry for 3 minutes or until no longer pink. Add tomatoes, fish sauce, sugar and lime juice; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until medium-thick consistency.
Serve sauce with handful of rice.