Tofu Pesto Antipasto Salad
This recipe makes 6 servings
|Per each of 6 servings: about||-|
|total fat||26 g|
|sat. fat||5 g|
- Portion size: 4 to 6
Serve this pretty layered salad with crusty bread for a light evening meal. If you're pressed for time or can't find fresh basil, substitute 1 cup (250 mL) prepared pesto whisked with 1/3 cup (75 mL) white wine vinegar for the pesto dressing.
- 1 pkg (454 g) 1pkg (454 g)medium-firm tofu, drained
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupcrumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupchopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp 2tbspvegetable oil
- 1 1oniononions, thinly sliced
- 2 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1sweet red peppersweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 1 1can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 4 cups 4cupsquartered mushrooms, (about 12oz/375 g)
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupscherry tomatocherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuppine nutpine nuts or almonds, toasted Pesto Dressing:
- 2 cups 2cupspacked fresh basil
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupwhite wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuppine nutpine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupextra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1clove garliccloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
Cut tofu into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes; let drain in colander for 15 minutes. Transfer to small bowl; toss with feta and parsley.
Meanwhile, in nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, red pepper and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each of the salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 4 minutes.
Transfer to 8-inch (2 L) square glass or other shallow glass baking dish; add artichokes and tofu mixture. Set aside.
In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat; cook mushrooms and remaining salt and pepper, stirring frequently, until liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
Pesto Dressing: In blender or food processor, purée together basil, vinegar, pine nuts, oil, garlic, salt and pepper until smooth. Spread half over tofu mixture.
Sprinkle with mushroom mixture. Spread with remaining dressing. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 1 day.)
Sprinkle with tomatoes and pine nuts.
Additional information : Substitution: Use 2 cups (500 mL) chopped fresh parsley plus 2 tsp (10 mL) dried basil for the fresh basil in the pesto dressing.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: June 2003