Waldorf Chicken Salad
This recipe makes 6 servings
|Pper each of 6 servings: about||-|
|total fat||12 g|
|sat. fat||3 g|
- Portion size: 4 to 6
Created in New York's Waldorf Astoria Hotel in the 1890s, the original salad was simply apples, celery and mayonnaise. For a sandwich, stuff the chicken salad into pita pockets.
- 1-1/4 cups 1-1/4cupsBalkan-style plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupchopped pecans
- 1 lb 1lbboneless skinless chicken breastboneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp 2tspolive oil
- 1 1appleapples, cored, cut in eighths and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 2ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup 1cupseedless red grapeseedless red grapes, halved
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchopped fresh chivefresh chives
- 2 tbsp 2tbsplemon juice
- 1 tbsp 1tbspliquid honey
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
Drain yogurt in cheesecloth-lined sieve set over bowl for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in large nonstick skillet, toast pecans over medium heat until golden, about 2 minutes; transfer to large bowl.
Cut chicken horizontally in half to within 1 inch (2.5 cm) of edge; open like book. In same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook chicken until no longer pink inside, about 6 minutes. Let cool; shred and add to pecans.
Stir in yogurt, apple, celery, grapes, chives, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper until combined.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: March 2011