Warm Mediterranean Spinach Dip
This recipe makes 40 2 tbsp (25 mL) servings
|Per 2 tbsp (25 mL) : about||-|
|total fat||1 g|
- Portion size: 4 cups (1 L)
This lower-fat version of the well-known creamy spinach dip is best served on slices of crusty Italian bread or baguette, or with flatbread crackers for dipping.
- 2 bags (10 oz/284 g each) 2bags (10 oz/284 g each)spinach, washed and trimmed
- 2 tbsp 2tbspextra-virgin olive oil
- 2 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1anchovy, chopped
- 3/4 tsp 3/4tspfennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsphot pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1 bottle (680 mL) 1bottle (680 mL)strained tomatoes, (passata)
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupgrated romano cheese or Parmesan cheese
In batches, place spinach in large pot with just the water clinging to leaves; cover and cook over medium-high heat, stirring once, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Transfer to sieve; press out moisture. Chop and set aside.
In skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook garlic, anchovy, fennel seeds, hot pepper flakes and salt, stirring constantly, until fragrant and garlic is lightly golden, about 1 minute.
Stir in tomatoes and spinach; heat through, about 2 minutes. (Make-ahead: Let cool; refrigerate in airtight container for up to 2 days.)
Spread evenly in pie plate, gratin dish or shallow baking dish; sprinkle with cheese. Broil until hot and bubbly and cheese is golden, about 3 minutes.
Source : Canadian Living Holiday Cookbook: Fall 2009