Wheat Berry Tabbouleh
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||8 g|
|sat. fat||1 g|
- Portion size: 8
Wheat berries (soft wheat kernels) give a nutty chewiness to this version of a popular takeout salad. Look for them in health and bulk food stores as well as in the grains or organic/special diet section of the supermarket. You can use barley instead, but cook it for only 20 minutes.
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupswheat berrywheat berries
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsfinely chopped fresh parsley
- 4 4green oniongreen onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupfinely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 3 large 3largetomatotomatoes, diced Lemon Olive Oil Dressing:
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupextra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp 3tbsplemon juice
- 1 tsp 1tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
In large saucepan of boiling salted water, cover and cook wheat berries until tender, about 1 hour. Drain and rinse in cold water; drain well.
Lemon Olive Oil Dressing: In large bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add wheat berries, parsley, onions and mint; toss to combine. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.)
Add tomatoes; toss to combine.
Additional information :
Make It a Meal: Stuff into pita or wrap in tortilla along with 4 oz (125 g) sliced smoked chicken plus items such as lettuce, grated carrots and thinly sliced cucumber.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: July 2004