Today is #BellLetsTalk day, when we can contribute to the battle against mental illness by talking about it and donating money to mental health initiatives. For every text, long-distance call, Facebook share or #BellLetsTalk tweet you send, five cents is donated to the cause. Mental illness is a complicated issue. While one in five Canadians experience a mental health problem or addiction in a year, most say they wouldn’t talk about it. Unlike cancer or other illnesses that are fought more vocally, mental illness is largely swept under the rug. It’s time for that to change in Canada. 5 benefits of talking about mental illness today
- It helps break down the stigma.
- It teaches those who are struggling that they’re not alone.
- It's a great way to spread resources to those in need.
- Talking about problems can help relieve anxiety for some who are suffering.
- It helps others see the signs of illness in their own friends and family so they can offer help.