After a few months of long days and cold weather, by March we are ready for spring. We're ready to wear our shorts, to spend time outside and to enjoy long days of sunshine. Unfortunately, spring doesn't always come when we want it to. Sometimes we need to find other ways to escape the winter doldrums and add some "spring" to our winter days!
Try some of the following to help:
Throw a beach party
• Invite guests to come dressed in beach gear
• Serve summer foods -- try digging out the BBQ
• Offer fruity drinks with umbrellas
• Decorate with your summer beach supplies
• Have a sand castle building contest
Have a summer movie night
• Rent some of your favorite movies with a summer theme
Attend an indoor "summer" attraction
• Take a rock climbing course
• Play indoor beach volleyball
• Go roller skating
• Go to an indoor waterslide
• Golf at an indoor course or driving range
Create an island getaway in one room
• Light coconut flavored candles
• Use gardenia perfume
• Decorate in a summer theme -- bright colours, sea shells, etc
Splurge and buy summer fruits at a fresh fruit market
• Make a fresh pie out of frozen fruits
Once you have beaten your winter doldrums, embrace the rest of the winter season. Get out and go skating or skiing a few more times. Take the family on a winter picnic -- go tobogganing, roast wieners and build a snow family.
Tracy Lyn Moland is a mother of two school-age children, the author of Mom Management, a regular corporate spokesperson, media guest, and freelance writer. For more tips and ideas, check out her website www.TracyLynMoland.com.