1. Which is higher in fat?
a. 3 oz (90 g) dark turkey meat
b. 3 oz (90 g) white turkey meat
2. Which food is richest in vitamin C?
a. One clementine
b. 1/4 cup (50 mL) cranberry sauce
c. Six cooked brussels sprouts
3. Which drink has the fewest calories?
a. 3/4 cup (175 mL) eggnog
b. 3/4 cup (175 mL) apple cider
c. One cranberry martini
4. Which party food is your healthiest choice?
a. Four large shrimp with cocktail sauce
b. One egg roll with plum sauce
c. One chicken satay with peanut sauce
5. Which dessert has the fewest calories?
a. 1 cup (250 mL) fruit trifle
b. One slice (1/8 of pie) mincemeat pie
c. One slice (1.5 oz/45 g) fruitcake
6. Which dip has the fewest calories?
a. 2 tbsp (25 mL) hummus
b. 2 tbsp (25 mL) baba ghanoush
c. 2 tbsp (25 mL) salsa
d. 2 tbsp (25 mL) guacamole
7. Which has more fat?
a. 1/4 cup (50 mL) chestnuts
b. 1/4 cup (50 mL) almonds
8. Which store-bought cookies help keep Santa’s weight in check?
a. Two gingersnaps
b. Two shortbreads
c. Two chocolate chip cookies
9. Party foods (such as casseroles, dips and mayonnaise-based salads) can safely sit on the buffet for up to three hours.
10. Sweet potatoes and white potatoes have the same number of calories.
11. If fish is part of your traditional holiday meal, which type gives you the most omega-3 fat?
12. Candy canes and sugar cookies make your kids hyper.
Page 1 of 2-- On page 2: Learn the facts about holiday nutrition!Check your score:
1. (a) Three ounces (90 grams) of white turkey meat has 139 calories and 2.5 grams of fat; the same amount of dark turkey meat has 167 calories and seven grams of fat. Dark meat is a bit higher in iron.
2. (c) Six brussels sprouts have about 68 milligrams (mg) of vitamin C, almost 90 per cent of a woman's daily requirement. A clementine is second with 36 mg.
3. (b) The cider has about 90 calories, compared with the martini at 200 and the eggnog at 250.
4. (a) Four large shrimp with cocktail sauce have about 45 calories and less than one gram of fat. One chicken satay with sauce has about 100 calories, and one spring roll has 150.
5. (c) With 140 calories in a small slice, fruitcake wins. Mincemeat pie and trifle each have more than 300 calories.
6. (c) A two-tablespoon (25 millilitre) serving of salsa has only 10 calories and no fat, followed by guacamole at 35 calories and two grams of fat. The same serving of hummus has 50 calories and three grams of fat, while baba ghanoush has 90 calories and nine grams of fat.
7. (b) A one-quarter cup (50 millilitres) of almonds has 205 calories and 18 grams of fat; the same serving of roasted chestnuts has only 90 calories and one gram of fat. Almonds, however, are higher in protein, and most of their fat is the healthy, monounsaturated kind.
8. (a) Two gingersnaps have 58 calories, compared with 100 for two of each of the other varieties.
9. (b) False. Perishable foods, such as meat, seafood, and salads with mayonnaise, should sit out no longer than two hours. Serve in smaller dishes, and refill with foods stored in the oven or fridge.
10. (a) True. A 115-gram baked sweet potato has 105 calories, as does a 115-gram white potato. The difference is sweet potatoes are much higher in beta-carotene.
11. (c) Oilier fish are higher in omega-3 fats. A three-ounce serving of Atlantic salmon contains about 1,800 mg. Haddock and cod, being lower in fat, are much lower in omega-3 fats.
12. (b) False. It’s more likely that the excitement of the holiday is causing their change in behaviour.
Page 2 of 2