©iStockphoto.com/digitalskillet Image by: ©iStockphoto.com/digitalskillet
Here are the two most important, and most basic, steps that should be followed when it comes to keeping your teeth and gums in tiptop shape.
1. Brush regularly
For healthy and clean teeth, it is recommended that you brush your teeth two to three times per day. When purchasing a toothbrush, make sure you select one that has soft bristles that won’t damage the enamel on your teeth.
2. Floss regularly
Flossing is the most effective way to ensure you get rid of food particles from both the surface of and the gaps between your teeth. Flossing will keep the grooves of your teeth clean and help prevent tooth decay.
In addition to brushing and flossing regularly, there are five natural approaches to keeping your smile white and your teeth and gums healthy.
5 more ways to keep your teeth and gums healthy
1. Stay away from sugar. Sugar is the key culprit in promoting dental decay. Keep in mind that sugar can be hidden in many food products, including cereal, cookies, cakes and more. Be sure to read food labels. If the first ingredient listed on a food label is sugar, glucose, evaporated cane juice or sucrose, it indicates that the product contains more sugar than any other ingredient and should be avoided.
2. A healthy immune system will translate into healthy gums. Foods rich in vitamin C can help keep gum inflammation down and teeth healthy. Foods high in vitamin C include oranges, broccoli, red peppers, grapefruit and strawberries.
3. To keep your teeth white, avoid tobacco, soy sauce, coffee, tea and wine (both red and white).
4. For a bright smile, consume firm fruits and vegetables that scrub your teeth as you eat them. Examples include green beans, cauliflower, carrots and celery.
5. If you have gum disease or suffer from bad breath, try using an aloe vera or an Echinacea rinse to help get rid of the bad bacteria in your mouth.
Good health and a healthy smile go hand in hand. Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables and avoid added sugars to ensure your teeth and gums are in optimal shape.
Dr. Joey Shulman is a bestselling author and the founder of the Shulman Weight Loss Clinics. For more information, visit drjoey.com.
Page 1 of 1