Take a look at a larger image of the finished planter box.
Note: Lumber is listed in nominal dimensions.
4-foot length 1x8 pine, for sides
2-foot length 1x5 pine, for bottom
1-foot length 1x6 pine, for ends
1-1/2-inch finishing nails
Jigsaw or circular saw
Planter shown is built for a standard 3-1/2-inch wide deck rail and is 24 inches long by 7-1/4 inches high by 6-1/2 inches wide.
• Bottom (A): 24 x 4-1/2 inches (1 inch wider than deck rail)
• 2 sides (B): 24 x 7-1/4 inches
• 2 ends (C): 5 x 5-1/2 inches
1. Using jigsaw, taper two end (C) pieces to measurements shown in Diagram 1.
2. To assemble planter box: Using glue and 1-1/2-inch finishing nails, glue then nail end pieces to bottom as shown in Diagram 3.
3. With top edges of side pieces and end pieces flush, and bottom edges of side pieces extending below bottom (see Diagram 2), glue then nail sides to end and bottom pieces.
4. Sand and paint as desired.
This story was originally titled "Deck Rail Planter Box" in the July 2011 issue. Subscribe to Canadian Living today and never miss an issue!
Page 1 of 1