Here's how to make three simple pillow types:
Simple sewn-on pillow cover:
1. To pillow-form width, add 2 cm (3/4 in) for total width; to length, add 2 cm for total length. From upholstery fabric, cut cover front and back, each total width x total length.
2. With right sides together and using 1 cm (3/8 in) of seam allowance, stitch front and back together, leaving opening for pillow form centred along bottom edge. Trim seam allowance across corners and turn right side out. Press under 1 cm around opening, insert form and slipstitch opening closed.
Plain zippered pillow
1. To pillow-form width, add 2 cm (3/4 in) for total width; to length, add 2 cm for total length. From upholstery fabric, cut cover front, total width x total length, then, adding 4 cm (1-5/8 in) to total length only, cut cover back total width x total back length. Approx three-quarters of the way down back, cut straight across from side edge to side edge for zipper opening, then machine-zig zag each just-cut edge to bind.
2. With right sides together and using 2 cm seam allowance, sew bound edges together, starting at each side edge and stitching 7 cm (2-3/4 in) along, then backstitching to end seam. Press under 2 cm along each edge of opening between seams, then sew zipper in place.
3. With right sides together and using 1 cm seam allowance, stitch front to back (remember to leave zipper open so you can turn cover right side out). Trim seam allowance across corners and machine-zig zag seam allowance to bind. Turn right side out, press edges, then insert form and zip up.
1. To pillow-form width, add 8 cm (3-1/8 in) for total width; to pillow-form length, add 8 cm for total length. From upholstery fabric, cut cover front, total width x total length. Add 9 cm (3-1/2 in) to front width only for total back width; cut cover back, total back width x total length. Cut back in half for opening, perpendicular to total back width edge. Press under 1 cm, then 2.5 cm (1 in), along opening edge of each back piece; edge-stitch in place. Overlap finished edges 2.5 cm; baste together.
2. With right sides together and edges even, stitch front to back around edge. Clip seam allowance across corners. Remove basting. Turn right side out.
3. Press edge; topstitch 3 cm from edge.
4. Determine buttonhole placement on overlapping edge of opening and sew. Under each, sew button to underlap. Insert form and button up.
1. Follow Step 1 for flanged pillow. Measure around edge of front, then multiply by 2 to determine ruffle total length. Cut one 13 cm (5-1/8 in) wide strip, ruffle total length. Press under 1 cm twice along 1 long edge; edge-stitch. Stitch ends together to form ruffle loop. With raw edges even, pin evenly gathered ruffle to right side of cover front; baste, using 6 mm (1/4 in) seam allowance.