There's a certain beautiful synergy between knitting and nerd culture. I think it's because knitters tend to be a little...well...obsessive – just like people who adore
Star Trek, Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings,
obscure Japanese manga, etc. And believe me, I know what of I speak. How exciting that there's finally going to be a book that celebrates both cultures – and gives you something to wear to your next
viewing party or
. [caption id="attachment_7035" align="aligncenter" width="263" caption="Knits for Nerds by Joan of Dark (a.k.a. Toni Carr)"]
Knits for Nerds
(Andrews McMeel, Feb. 12, 2012, $20) by Joan of Dark (a.k.a. Toni Carr) contains 33 projects taken from three different categories of geekdom – fantasy, science fiction, comics and manga – and mixes in a few other projects for good measure. Carr has included a number of her own projects and rounded up a bunch of others from fellow knitters, including her mother, a science fiction writer who knits her own roller derby costumes. (Actually, Carr has followed in her mother's skate tracks and also written
a book of patterns for chic derbywear that's already on the market.) The book is also peppered with bits of deliciously nerdy trivia. (Did you know that Trekkies actually prefer to be called Trekkers?) And the intro to each project tells you a little about where the inspiration came from – and might set you on the road toward a new obsession.
My 5 Favourite Projects from the Book
- Baby Elf Beanie – an adorable horned chapeau for your favourite tiny fantasy fan
- Horrible Gloves – buttoned-up long fingerless gloves that honour Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
- Space Princess Hats – for when you just need a set of Princess Leia buns to complement your outfit
- Aim to Misbehave Brown Jacket – a rebellious extra-long cardigan that's perfect for Firefly fans (like me)
- Big Bang Guy's Sweater Vest – if you love Raj's sartorial splendour on The Big Bang Theory, you'll need to knit one of these
Do you have a nerdy passion you want to share with the world?
Leave a comment on this post, telling me about your nerdy passion,
by 11:59 p.m., Tuesday, December 6, 2011.
If your entry is drawn randomly, I'll send you a copy of
Knits for Nerds,
which isn't in bookstores until February 12, 2012! Drop back in next Thursday, December 8, 2011, to find out who won. Good luck!