WOW. I am so, so excited to see how many of you will be joining in on our crochet-along as we make The Calm Cowl by Susana Davidovic. Welcome to each of you, and thank you so much for your enthusiasm. Here we go! Step one: If you haven't done it already, now is the time to download the pattern from Ravelry. It's free, but you will need a Ravelry membership (if you don't have one yet, it's totally worth signing up). Read it over, but don't worry if there are terms you don't recognize – we'll cover it all on the blog, with lots of opportunities for you to ask questions.
- Calm Cowl, photo Susana Davidovic
- If you like to look at photos and read at your own pace, try the crochet tutorials at PurlBee. This week, you'll need to read up on making a foundation chain.
- If you like to watch videos, this video on crochet basics will teach you how to hold the hook, tension the yarn and make a slip knot. Watch the next video to learn how to chain stitch (i.e., make a foundation chain).
- Make a slip knot;
- do the chain stitch until you have the specified number of stitches (if you want to make it longer or shorter, this is the time to crochet more or less);
- join the chain into a circle with a sl st (slip stitch) – here's the written how-to; here's a video (you only really need to watch the first minute or so).