.40 m yellow ripstop nylon, 150 cm wide
.30 m blue ripstop nylon, 150 cm wide
.30 m red ripstop nylon, 150 cm wide
3 m 30-pound kite string
Wire coat hanger
Waterproof electrical tape
Heavy-duty snap swivel (available at fishing tackle supply stores)
Dressmaker's chalk pencil
Note: Use a 1 cm (3/8 inch) seam allowance throughout, unless otherwise indicated.
1. From yellow nylon, cut 3 rectangles, each 22 x 12 cm (8-5/8 x 4-3/4 inches), then 6 tail strips, each 70 x 8 cm (27-5/8 x 3-1/8 inches).
From red nylon, cut 3 rectangles, each 22 x 18 cm (8-5/8 x 7 inches), then 3 tail strips, each 60 x 8 cm (23-5/8 x 3-1/8 inches).
2. With right sides together, stitch each yellow rectangle to each red along one long edge. Trim seam allowances to 6 mm (1/4 inch). Using machine-zigzag, bind raw edges of seam allowances. Press seam allowances toward red. Note: Test iron temperature on scrap fabric.
3. On each joined piece, mark the midpoint on long raw edge of red rectangle. Draw a straight line from marked point to each outer corner of yellow rectangle. Cut out triangles along drawn lines.
4. From blue nylon, cut 1 band 59 x 12 cm (23-1/4 x 4-3/4 inches). Set aside. Using 1 triangle piece as a pattern, cut out 3 blue nylon triangles.
5. With right sides together, stitch all triangles together along long edges, alternating direction of triangles and colors to form a cylinder (see photograph). Trim seam allowances to 6 mm. Machine-zigzag seam allowances. Press seam allowances toward blue.
6. Turn under 6 mm, then 6 mm again along 1 short and 2 long edges of tails. Stitch. Turn under along blue edge of cylinder. Position on raw edge of 1 red, 1 yellow and 1 red tail side by side, 1 cm under the folded edge of each blue triangle. Pin. Topstitch tails in place around edge of cylinder, 2 mm then 8 mm from edge.
7. Fold blue band so right sides are together and short ends meet. Stitch. With right sides together, stitch 1 edge of band around top edge of cylinder. Trim seam allowance to 6 mm. Machine-zigzag seam allowance. Turn under 2 cm (3/4 inch) around raw edge of band. Pin. Turn wind sock inside out.
8. With pliers, snip hook off hanger. Bend wire into a circle with circumference of 57 cm (22-1/2 inches), overlapping ends approx 3 cm (1-1/8 inch). Clip excess wire from ends if necessary. Wrap tape around overlapped wire, covering cut ends.