Photography by Nancy Falconi Image by: Photography by Nancy Falconi
• 30 x 45 cm (12- x 18-inch) piece white bristol board
• Tissue paper (light pink and dark pink, or desired colours)
• Green construction paper
• Curling ribbon (pink, green and yellow, or desired colours)
• Scissors, pencil and ruler
• Glue stick and invisible tape
• Fine-tip markers (pink, red and green, or desired colours)
Take a look at a larger image of the finished craft.
1. Matching short edges, fold bristol board carefully in half. Trim corners to round off. Set aside.
2. Cut two 12.5 x 40.5 cm (5- x 16-inch) strips from each shade of tissue paper (four strips total).
3. Place one strip tissue paper flat on work surface. Starting at bottom corner of one long side and working 5 cm (2 inches) at a time, carefully spread glue along edge. Place second strip of tissue paper on top; matching edges. Continue gluing layers together down length of strip. Repeat with remaining strips. All four strips will be glued
together along one long side.
For more great craft ideas, visit us on The Crafts Blog.
Page 1 of 2 – Find instructions to finish your supersized Mother's Day card on page 2.
4. Working along unglued long edge, use scissors to snip fringe, cutting each "tooth" of fringe about 1 cm (1/2 inch) wide and 10 cm (4 inches) long. Do not cut through glued edge.
5. Working 5 cm at a time, spread glue along glued edge and carefully roll strip up. Continue gluing and rolling until entire strip has been rolled, forming "flower." Set aside.
Take a look at helpful images to illustrate steps 4, 5, 7 and 8.
6. Cut 15 x 30.5 cm (6- x 12-inch) rectangle from green construction paper. Starting from one short end, fold paper in accordion folds (approx 1.5 cm/3/4-inch wide).
7. Fold accordion in half and glue together where leaves meet, to form "fan." If desired, reinforce join with a 3 x 6 cm (1-1/4- x 2-1/2-inch) rectangle of green construction paper, folded in half and glued over join.
8. Holding accordion together, trim ends to a point, making a narrow leaf shape.
Stem and leaf:
9. Using larger photograph as guide, cut stem and leaf pieces from green construction paper.
10. Glue stem and leaf to front cover and stem to inside left cover so stem ends align at bottom. (Stem should appear to continue from outside to inside.)
11. Print desired message in pencil, then trace with markers.
12. Cut three or four 20 cm (8-inch) lengths of ribbon; wrap around flower and tie just above base of flower.
13. Apply glue to base of flower and adhere to card, placing base at top of stem. If necessary, secure flower with invisible tape.
14. Apply glue to outside edges of leaf fan. Aligning centre of fan with fold, overlapping and concealing base of flower, adhere leaves to card. Hold in place until glue dries. Arrange ribbons as desired.
Do you love crafts? Sign up for our free e-newsletter, Get Crafty for more inspiring craft ideas.
Page 2 of 2