Finished stocking is approx 50 cm (19-3/4 in) long. Click here to view a larger image of the finished last-minute stocking.
• Piece of medium-weight fabric (such as brocade, satin or quilted velvet), 90 x 70 cm (35-1/2 x 27-5/8 in), for stocking
• Same-size piece of coordinating lining
• Strip of stocking fabric, 32 x 4 cm (12-5/8x 1-5/8 in), for hanging loop
• 1.20 m coordinating ribbon or strip of gauzy chiffon, satin or tulle (use 2 or 3 ribbons or strips, if desired, and narrowly hem, if necessary), 7.5 cm (3 in) wide
• Matching thread
• Brown paper
( Note: Use 1 cm (3/8-in) seam allowance unless otherwise indicated. Clip seam allowance at curves.)
1. Download pattern here. (PDF format requires Adobe Acrobat Reader. Get a free version here). Enlarge pattern as follows: On brown paper, draw grid of horizontal and vertical lines 2.5 cm (1-inch) apart. Each square on pattern grid equals a 2.5 cm square on paper. Draw each pattern line onto corresponding square on paper. Transfer any markings. (Seam allowance is included.)
2. Fold fabric in half so short edges are even; using pattern, cut out stocking front and back along solid black lines (back will be reversed). Repeat for lining.
3. With right sides together and edges even, stitch fabric front to back, leaving top edge open. Turn right side out; around top edge, press under 1 cm.
4. With right sides together and edges even, stitch lining front to back, leaving top edge open. Around top edge, press 1 cm to wrong side.
5. Aligning seams, slip lining inside fabric stocking so wrong sides are together. Pin pressed edges together; edgestitch. Fold cuff to outside along broken line.
6. Press under 1 cm along each long edge of strip. Fold so wrong sides are together and pressed edges are even; pin. Edgestitch. Fold in half to form loop; with loop up and raw ends even with bottom edge of cuff, machine-zigzag ends, side by side, at back seam of stocking (slide machine arm inside stocking to sew through both cuff and stocking).
7. Lay ribbon(s) on cuff, perpendicular to back seam, and pin midpoint to cuff just above loop ends; machine-zigzag in place across loop (sew through cuff and stocking). Tie ribbon(s) in bow; trim ends as desired.
Page 1 of 1