Excerpted from Instant Gratification Cards: Fast & Fabulous Projects by Carol Endler Sterbenz and Genevieve A. Sterbenz. Photographs by Julie Toy (Chronicle Books, 2000).
This holiday card doubles as a lantern when you shape it into a collar and slip it over a glass votive with lighted candle. The lantern's window, made from frosty vellum and stamped with a holiday motif, emits a warm glow when the candlelight shines through. Add a sprinkling of stars using a paper punch.
Finished size: 3" diametre collar shape, 3" high
You will need:
â€¢ Self-healing mat
â€¢ Cardstock in green
â€¢ Lightweight paper in metallic gold
â€¢ Straightedge ruler
â€¢ X-Acto knife
â€¢ Cellophane tape
â€¢ Coarse-bristle paintbrush
â€¢ High-tack white glue
â€¢ Rubber stamp with holiday motif: angel, tree, hotly leaf, cherub, or as desired
â€¢ Stamp pad in gold
â€¢ Embossing powder in gold (Optional)
â€¢ Heat gun (optional)
â€¢ Hole punch with star motif
â€¢ Self-adhesive sticker in star motif, or as desired
1. On self-healing mat, measure, mark, and cut two 12-inch-by-3 inch rectangles, one from cardstock and one from lightweight paper, using ruler, pencil, and X-Acto knife.
2. Cut a 3-inch-by-2-1/2-inch rectangle from vellum. Set aside. Lay cardstock and lightweight paper together, all edges even. Measure and cut a 2-1/2-inch-by-2-inch window in center of card, using ruler and X-Acto knife, cutting through both papers. See diagram (Click on SEE ALL IMAGES under main image to see diagram). Set lightweight paper aside.
3. Lay card wrong side up on a flat work surface over cutout window, taping to secure.
4. Brush a very light film of glue on wrong side of cardstock. Lay lightweight paper over glued cardstock, all edges even, and smooth flat using hands.
5. Lay card flat in horizontal position, right side up, and use rubber stamp and pad to print a holiday image in center of vellum window.
6. If desired, emboss the card using embossing powder and heat gun.
7. To finish, use hole punch to cut stars into card. Send flat and enclose sticker. To form lantern, shape card into a cylinder, overlapping card at back. Use star sticker to secure.