Hi friends, I'm sure that all crafters have faced this dilemma at one point or another: how much room is there for your crafts in your home decor? I've got a big blank wall in my apartment and I need to do something with it. I'd like to make something to fill the space, but I'm having a hard time narrowing down the options. Here are the challenges:
- I live in a studio apartment, so whatever goes on that wall needs to look OK for bedroom, living room, studio and dining room;
- it's a big wall (about 8" by 12"), so I need something with "presence" that's also affordable;
- the wall is opposite a window, so I need something that either won't fade or will look fine if it does, or something that will be easy and (and cheap!) to replace.
- Stretch some of my favourite fabrics in embroidery hoops, like this, and hang them up.
- Make large prints of some of my favourite photos and hang them up (but I'd prefer something craftier).
- Try this idea, passed along to me by Lisa Fielding*. She sent me an email on the weekend and said: "I was just in a knitting shop in Burlington [Spun Fibre Arts] and noticed this on the wall – they've framed a bunch of swatches in complementary colours. Thought it was a neat idea."