– Cathy LaBelle, Halifax
You can make these adorable caps for someone you know, or sew up a few to donate to a children's hospital.
Check out a larger image of the completed project here.
• 60 x 80 cm (24 x 32 inch) cotton knit fabric
• Polyester thread in coordinating colour
• Fabric marker
• Fabric scissors, rotary cutter, acrylic ruler and cutting mat
• Pins, needle
• Sewing machine fitted with ballpoint needle
Find that pattern for this sewing project here.
( Note: Pattern is half the size needed. Use photocopier to enlarge by 200% to full size.)
1. Fold fabric in half with right sides together and grain running vertically. Matching top of pattern with fold and ensuring that greatest degree of stretch is aligned with horizontal line on pattern, use fabric marker to trace pattern in desired size. Cut out hat.
2. Cut out 7.5 cm x 10 cm (3- x 4-inch) rectangle of scrap fabric for knot band. Fold in half lengthwise, matching two long edges and with right sides together; pin. Sew long edges together, using straight stitch and 1/8-inch seam allowance and securing stitches by backstitching at beginning and end of seam. Turn inside out and set aside.
3. Pin hat along front and back seams, right sides together. Sew back seam, using zigzag stitch and 1/8-inch seam allowance. Remove pins; fold seam to one side and topstitch with zigzag stitch, securing stitches by backstitching at beginning and end of seam. Sew front seam, using straight stitch and 1/8-inch seam allowance, securing stitches by backstitching at beginning and end of seam. Trim any excess material from seam allowances. If necessary, use rotary cutter and acrylic ruler to trim bottom opening and straighten bottom edge.
4. Turn hat right side out. Carefully pleat front seam of hat, using horizontal folds about 2.5 cm (1 inch) wide. With needle and thread, tack pleats in place, starting and ending at top of hat and stitching on either side of centre seam. Tie off with double knot; do not cut thread.
5. Wrap knot band around folds, inserting top of knot band through slit in centre top of hat. Tuck bottom of band into top of band; whipstitch together, making sure to catch top of centre slit in stitching. Knot and cut thread.
Find more fun sewing projects here.
Page 1 of 1