Olympic swimmer Ryan Cochrane.
The swimmer revitalized Canada's swimming program, and now he's poised to bring home the gold.
Ryan doesn’t have an Olympic gold (yet), but this Victoria-based cocaptain of Canada’s Rio-bound swim team has an even better claim to fame: He is widely credited with single-handedly resurrecting Canadian swimming by winning a bronze medal in the 1,500m freestyle in Beijing in 2008. Ryan later earned a silver medal in London in 2012 and, in Rio, he’s poised to round out his collection with that long-awaited gold.
Ryan's Quick Questionnaire
1. What's your good-luck charm? I love having music incorporated into my warm-up routine, so having the same songs with me is a constant good luck charm. I think I'd be a bit lost without it; it helps me get motivated and keeps me calm and collected while I'm getting ready to race.
2. What song do you play to pump yourself up? My Spotify playlist is constantly changing, and right now it's filled with quite a few Calvin Harris songs. I like accessing new music weekly, so I'm sure that playlist will change each week before Rio.
3. What food is your guilty pleasure? Honestly, I'd say pizza is my most guilty pleasure. We have some great local places in Victoria and it's the best meal after a really tough week of training.
4. What's your biggest fear? Boredom is up there, so I'm forever learning not only to get better, but also to keep it interesting. I think that applies to anything you're putting your mind to; if you're bored, chances are you're probably not working hard enough.
5. What's your favourite quote/mantra/affirmation? I have a tattoo on my forearm that says, "Men talk of killing time, while time quietly kills them," and while it's a little dark, it’s a great reminder to not take anything in life for granted and instead make the most of each and every minute.
6. If I weren't an athlete, I'd be… a lawyer. I love a good argument... or discussion.
7. I'm proud to be Canadian because… of our freedom of choice: this country allows anyone to have a dream and go after it.
8. Someday I hope to… inspire.
9. Right now I'm reading… Freedom by Jonathan Franzen.
10. One thing you probably don't know about me is… I'm a total neat freak.