Andre De Grasse will be turning heads in Rio. Image by: Getty Images
Andre De Grasse is making his Olympic debut and we won't be surprised if he ends up on the podium. Get to know the story behind Canada's newest star sprinter.Andre De Grasse's talent for sprinting was first spotted at a high school track meet. Now on a scholarship at the University of Southern California, the 21-year-old has great odds of medalling in Rio. Last year, he won gold for the 100m and 200m races at the Pan Am Games, plus a bronze in the 100m at the IAAF World Championships, which makes him the first Canadian to medal in the event in more than 15 years.
Andre's quick questionnaire
1. What's your good-luck charm?
Having my mom in the stands when I race.
2. What song do you play to pump yourself up?
"Blow Up" by J. Cole.
3. What food is your guilty pleasure?
Teddy Grahams and Dad's Oatmeal Cookies.
4. What's your biggest fear?
5. What's your favourite quote/mantra/affirmation?
"Never let your success go to your head. Never let your failure go to your heart."
Finish the sentence:
6. If I weren't an athlete, I'd be… a youth worker.
7. I'm proud to be Canadian because… we're a diverse nation with opportunities available to all.
8. Someday I hope to… be the world's fastest man.
9. Right now I'm watching… Wayward Pines and Empire.
10. One thing you probably don't know about me is… I like to roller skate.