Have Discount, Will Travel Everyone loves getting a deal when it comes to planning and financing a vacation. I've struck gold on a few occasions and it made the world of difference. And it's not that I simply saved a few hundred books on a trip, though I love that benefit. Sometimes, saving a chunk of change on transportation (plane, train...) and/or accommodation has meant that I was able to do a lot more at the destination. I scored a deal on a flight to Costa Rica last December and, believe me, flying anywhere at Christmas time is never cheap. My math skills are abysmal (hence my career in the word business) but I figure I saved about $350 Canadian by booking a cheap flight. Yes, it was economy class and, sigh, there wasn't an in-flight movie service for two legs of the trip. But with my savings on flight, I had extra cash for zip-lining, white-water rafting, and a slew of other activities. Here are 5 reputable travel web sites which offer regular discounts for Canadians [caption id="attachment_795" align="aligncenter" width="360" caption="Visit Prince Edward Island - without breaking the bank. (Photo courtesy Tourism PEI)"] [/caption]
- Travelocity Canada - Last Minute Deals: You can book 3 hours to 3 weeks in advance of a trip. Bonus: good variety of destinations and trips offered in their Last Minute Deals section. Tip trip: some great deals, especially if you're heading somewhere hot!
- Intrepid Travel - Special Promotions: Regularly knocks 20% off unsold spots on trips which are getting close to departure dates. Tip: It's worth checking on a regular basis. You never know when the trip-of-your-dream will appear - at a discount.
- VIA Rail - Discounts: This is one of the best-kept secrets amongst Canadian travellers. VIA Rail offers Youth Fares (12 to 25), Discounts for Children, plus ticket price reductions for those 60-and-older.
- GAP Adventures - Special Offers: This Canadian-owned and operated company shaves 25% off a number of tours. I can tell you from personal experience: the deals go quickly. So don't wait too long.
- Flight Centre - Tours: Frequently features Canadian tour specials. I recently saw a budget-friendly "Historic sites of Eastern Canada" tour.