If you love to shower your furry friend with the latest in pet accessories, you'll be thrilled to know what the latest trends are and how to treat your pet to all the creature comforts he deserves. We checked in with Ali Hoeffer – cofounder of Cuddly Ruff, which sells luxury items for dogs – to find out what's hot for your favourite pet.
CanadianLiving.com: What kinds of accessories should every pet have?
Ali Hoeffer: Every pet needs a soft bed and some toys. Dogs sleep more than people and it's important that they are comfortable. Plus, it will give them their own comfy space to go to when they are tired or cold. And it is especially important if you're away for a long period of time that your dog has something to play with.
CL.com: What are some of the hottest pet accessories this year?
AH: This year's hottest pet accessory is definitely jewelry. Small pets and big pets alike have been seen wearing personalized silver tags and beautifully colored necklaces – it's all about colour.
CL.com: What's the one must-have accessory?
AH: Colourful necklaces made of natural semi-precious gemstones. They are a great way to add style and show off your pet's personality.
CL.com: Are there any standout trends when it comes to pet accessories?
AH: Natural products are big. Look for recycled and organic, all-natural materials.
5 dos and don'ts for shopping for pet accessories
1. Buy accessories that are fun for your pet.
2. Pick a bed that fits your pet. The dog should be snug and cozy but with enough room to turn around.
3. If you are buying jewelry and/or silver tags for your pet, think of how he spend his day and be aware that if he wears it during playtime, it might get scratched.
4. When buying a necklace for your pet, we recommend that the space between your pet's neck and the necklace be at least two fingers wide. It should not be too loose or too tight.
5. Have fun accessorizing your pet with products that you'll enjoy admiring.
Check out this slideshow for eight pet accessories we love.
Page 1 of 1
Natalie Bahadur is the senior editor of styleathome.com, and is a regular contributor to CanadianLiving.com. Have fun accessorizing your pet with products that you'll enjoy admiring.