©iStockphoto.com/BroncoxCLOSED Image by: ©iStockphoto.com/BroncoxCLOSED
But taking part in your wedding reception playlist can ensure you hear those personal favourites that will make your day that much more special. Plus you’ve taken care of the drier details. Now’s your chance to grab a bottle of wine and spend an afternoon reminiscing and sifting through old CD’s with your husband-to-be.
Live music or iPod at your wedding reception?
We’re here to help you get started. Your first step is to assess your needs. Chuck Reynolds has owned his own DJ company for over 25 years and knows what it takes to create that perfect playlist. "You have to find out what sort of crowd you’re working with," advises Reynolds. If your group loves live music, a band is a great option. On the other hand if you know that Top 40 is what the crowd craves then a DJ or a well-stocked iPod may be more practical. "It’s less likely a band will know the most current songs," says Reynolds.
Vary your reception playlist
Remember to try to create some variety in your music so that there is a little something for everyone. "I’ll often play some Top 40, ’80’s, ’90’s and maybe the odd ’60’s tune. Its not necessarily just the music. It’s the way it moves."
At the end of the day you know your guests better than anyone. Trust your instincts about which songs will be a big hit and which will clear the dance floor. Don’t be afraid to share this information with your entertainer – your friends and family will thank you for it.
The music at your wedding reception should ultimately reflect who you are. So have fun with it and choose the songs that touch your heart. To give some inspiration, on the next page are our Top 50 wedding reception songs. Happy hunting!
Click here for your ultimate wedding reception playlist.
Here is your expert wedding reception playlist:
Love songs for those feeling romantic:
1. I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing – Aerosmith
2. (Everything I Do) I Do it for You – Bryan Adams
3. Wonderful Tonight – Eric Clapton
4. Because You Loved Me – Celine Dion
5. Can’t Help Falling In Love – Elvis Presley
6. Unchained Melodies – Righteous Brothers
7. I Honestly Love You – Olivia Newton John
8. These Arms of Mine – Otis Redding
9. Sometimes When We Touch – Dan Hill
10. Breath – Faith Hill
11. Your Song – Elton John
12. Home – Michael Buble
13. This Year’s Love – David Gray
14. Amazed – Lonestar
15. Just the Way You Are – Billy Joel
16. Whatever It Is - Zac Brown Band
17. I Hope You Dance – Lee Anne Womack
18. Let’s Stay Together – Al Green
19. You Are So Beautiful – Joe Cocker
20. When You Say Nothing At All – Alison Krauss
Songs to get the party started:
21. Beat It - Michael Jackson
22. Hey Baby – Bruce Channel
23. I Got A Feeling – Black Eyed Peas
24. Friday, I’m in Love – The Cure
25. Marry You – Bruno Mars
26. Love Shack – B-52’s
27. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
28. Celebration – Kool and the Gang
29. Oh, What A Feeling – Crowbar
30. Kiss – Prince
31. Start Me Up – Rolling Stones
32. Billy Jean – Michael Jackson
33. Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I’m Yours) – Stevie Wonder
34. Hound Dog – Elvis Presley
35. I Saw Her Standing There – The Beatles
36. Dancing in the Dark – Bruce Springsteen
37. I Feel Good – James Brown
38. Bad Case of Loving You – Robert Palmer
39. You Can Dance – Michael Buble
40. Johnnie B. Goode – Chuck Berry
Necessary evils for your late night crowd:
41. Cotton-Eyed Joe - Rednex
42. Chicken Dance - Werner Thomas
43. YMCA – Village People
44. Tootsee Roll – 69 Boyz
45. Cha Cha Slide – DJ Casper
46. Electric Boogie – Marcia Griffiths
47. Macarena – Los Del Rio
48. Mambo No. 5 – Lou Bega
49. Get Ready for This – 2 Unlimited
50. Fresh Prince of Bel-Air – Will Smith
Plan the most beautiful wedding you can imagine with expert tips and helpful advice from our special wedding planning guide.