By Natalie Bahadur
Autumn's in the air - and while that means summer's over, it doesn't mean that you and your family can't enjoy some fun outdoor activities. Before packing it in for the season and hibernating indoors, make the most of fall with these great family-friendly ideas.
1. Visit a farmer's market and select fresh produceFall's bounty of fresh fruits and vegetables is one of the best offerings of the season. Visit a farmer's market and stock up on your favourite seasonal produce. Fresh apples, pumpkins, squash and many other delicacies are a healthy and tasty way to add variety to your autumn menu. Also, keep an eye out for local fall fairs and harvest festivals.
2. Decorate the outside of your house for HalloweenThis is fun for the whole family. When October rolls around, get the kids involved in decorating the outside of your house for Halloween. While a trip to the store to buy decorations might be fun, why not plan a craft afternoon, where everyone makes their own spooky creations? Try baking Creepy Witch Fingers.
3. Plan an end-of-season barbecueYou'll have to time this one just right, but before the temperature takes a real dive, gather friends and family for a final outdoor barbecue. Throw some seasonal veggies on the grill (grilled pumpkin and squash are delish!) and enjoy the crisp fall air before it gets too cold to sit outside. Have light blankets and sweaters handy for guests, just in case it gets a little chilly.
4. Have a family movie nightPlan an indoor campout for the whole family - in the living room! Rent a few fave videos that everyone can enjoy, stock up on snacks and enjoy a fun-filled family night indoors.
5. Hit the roadThe leaves are changing colour and it's a beautiful time of year to enjoy with the family. Take a long drive somewhere, where you can see the brilliant shades of autumn on the trees. Plan some fun games that you can play in the car, sing songs -- and don't forget to roll the windows down, so you can all breathe in that fresh fall air.
Page 1 of 2 -- Plan a day of crafts, have a family sing-along and more this fall with fun activity ideas on page 2
Visit a farmer's market and decorate for Halloween
Get the family together for crafts and music this fall
Expert advice for making your summer clothes work when the...
40 fabulous ways to celebrate the glorious month of October
Find the top five crucial steps to ready your garden for winter.
From appetizers to desserts, here are some creative ways to squeeze...
Things to consider before moving in with your partner
7 word games to play on the commute to school
Grilled Cajun Shrimp With Summer Vegetable Orzo
13 must-haves for you from stores where you shop for kids' back-to-school clothes
5 back-to-school looks for boys
4 yummy burger recipes
Subscribe to Canadian Living magazine!
Subscribe today, and save off the cover price.
Sign up for our newsletters
Get free newsletters from Canadian Living, right to your inbox!
Get our mobile application!
Download the Canadian Living mobile app.
A TC Media site, Consumer Solutions
Transcontinental Media G.P.
1100 René-Lévesque Blvd W.
Montréal, QC H3B 4X9