Tag Archives: summer
The summer is well underway, and we have already had a few really warm days. Hot days with kids can be a challenge, but with these simple ideas, you will be prepared for even the longest heat wave.
Here are a few “beat the heat” ideas you can try:
1) Make a special “cool” summer snack – The ice cream sandwich (pictured above) is an easy and delicious summer snack. First, bake a batch of your favorite ginger molasses cookies. (I made mine small so that I ended up with a good “mini” snack for my boys.) Then, after the cookies have cooled completely, scoop some chocolate ice cream onto one of the cookies, and top with a second cookie. Serve immediately, and get ready for some smiles.
2) Have a water fight – There is nothing like a good old fashioned water fight on a warm day. Instead of using water guns, why not stock up on water balloons, dollar store sponges, and spray bottles?
3) Get wet – When the mercury starts to rise, search out some H2O. Hit the beach, go swimming, put out the sprinkler, or head for the local splash pad.
4) Go inside – On the days when the heat gets to be too much to bear, find a fun indoor activity. Go to a movie, try some bowling, visit a museum or head for the mall. Sometimes air conditioning is your best friend.
5) Play with ice – To pass some time, and help the kids stay cool, let them play with ice. Freeze some small toys inside a block of ice and let the kids figure out a way to get it out, or let your little ones play with ice cubes in a bowl, water table, or kiddie pool.
What is your favorite way to beat the heat? Stay cool, and have fun!
Gina (aka East Coast Mommy)