Carol's Sweet and Sour Chicken Balls
This recipe makes 6 servings
- Preparation time: 45 minutes approx
- Portion size: 4-6
Succulent pieces of chicken breast marinated in Asian spices, deep fried to a golden brown and then smothered in an enticing pineapple, red pepper, sweet and sour sauce. Pour the sauce over the chicken balls and serve over fluffy basmati rice. Yummy!
- 5 5large boneless chicken breastboneless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp 1tbspgrated ginger
- 1 tbsp 1tbspgrated garlic
- 1 tbsp 1tbspsoya sauce
- 1 tsp 1tsptoasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupflour
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupcornstarch
- 2 tsp 2tspbaking powder
- 1 tsp 1tspbaking soda
- 1-1/2 tsp 1-1/2tspwhite sugar
- 2/3 cup 2/3cupcold water
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupketchup
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupwhite vinegar
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupwhite sugar
- 1 tsp 1tspgrated ginger
- 1 1grated clove of garlic
- 1/2 cup 1/2cuppineapple juice, from drained pineapple
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsptoasted sesame oil
- 3/4 cup 3/4cuppineapple chunks
- 1/2 1/2sliced red pepper
- 3 3green oniongreen onions, sliced diagonally
- 1 tbsp 1tbspcornstarch, mixed with 2 tbsp of water
- 4 cups 4cupssafflower oil or canola oil
Chop chicken breasts into 2 inch cubes and place in bowl. Add garlic, ginger, sesame oil and soya sauce. Marinate two to four hours.
Meanwhile, make the batter by mixing the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. Stir in the cold water to make a smooth batter. Make the sauce by mixing the ketchup, vinegar, sugar, grated ginger, grated garlic, pineapple juice, sesame oil, pineapple chunks, red pepper and green onions. Heat in a saucepan until it simmers, about 5 minutes. Thicken with cornstarch water mixture and simmer 2 more minutes.
Dip chicken in batter, deep fry in batches in oil heated to 375 degrees, turning as the pieces brown. Remove to paper towels to drain excess oil. Place into a 9x13 inch pan. When all chicken has been cooked, pour the warm sauce over the chicken and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve over fluffy basmati rice which has been steamed in chicken broth. (Substitue half of the water with chicken broth). You may want to double the sauce recipe next time.
Additional information : Contest recipe category: Poultry and Game Birds
Source : carol cleland