Turkey Chili with Barley and Black Beans
This recipe makes 6 servings
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cook time : 43 minuntes
- Total time : PT58M
- Portion size: 6
- 2 tsp 2tspvegetable oil
- 1 cup 1cuponiononions, chopped
- 2 tsp 2tspfresh garlic, crushed
- 1 lb 1lbground turkey
- 1 19 oz can 119 oz canwhole tomatoes, with juice
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupschicken stock
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuppearl barley
- 1 tbsp 1tbspjalapeño pepperjalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 tsp 2tspdried basil
- 1 tsp 1tspdried oregano
- 2 2bay leafbay leaves
- 1 cup 1cupblack beanblack beans
- 2 tbsp 2tbsptomato paste
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupgreen oniongreen onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup 1/3cuplight aged cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuplow-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupfresh parsley or fresh basil
Spray a large non stick skillet with cooking oil, add the vegetable oil and place over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until browned, about 5 to 8 minutes.
Add the turkey and break it up with the back of a wooden spoon, saute until it's no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes and juice, stock, barley, peppers, basil, oregano, bay leaves, beans and tomato paste to the pan. Break up the tomatoes and bring to a boil.
Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, or until the barley is tender. Remove the bay leaves.
Garnish each serving with green onion, cheese, sour cream and parsley.
Source : Jodi Borneman