White Pearl Seafood Gratin
This recipe makes 8 servings
- Preparation time: 40 minutes
- Cook time : 20 minutes
- Total time : PT60M
- Portion size: 8
I was inspired to do this dish because it uses several Canadian ingredients as well as different ones. I love to combine unusual tastes and combinations in my food. I saw a recipe for a Black Pearl Cake and thought that combining chocolate and Wasabi was a very interesting idea. I added sesame seeds for an interesting texture. I use complimentary seafood: halibut, crab and shrimp. They go together very well, especially the halibut and the crab. The addition of apple is because it goes very well with the crab.
This dish is rich and filling. I would suggest that it be served with a leaf salad as a main course. I have included an optional recipe for a White Pearl Trout Gratin, which has a few modifications. It is exceptional as well, as the trout is a mild slightly sweet fish. I have put in tall the ingredients as well with the recipe as the space was not sufficient for them in the ingredient list.
- 1 cup 1cupseafood stock
- 1 cup 1cupclam juice
- 2 cups 2cupsheavy cream
- 1 cup 1cupgood Reisling white wine, plus 1/2 cup, divided
- 5 tbsp 5tbsptomato puree
- 1 tsp 1tspsaffron threads
- 2 tbsp 2tbspgrated ginger
- 2 tsp 2tspwasabi paste
- 1 1large Golden Delicious apple, cored, peeled and grated
- 1 lb 1lbraw shrimp, peeled, deveined and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 lb 1lbraw halibut, skin and bones removed, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lb 1lbcooked crab meat
- 15 tbsp 15tbspunsalted butter, divided
- 2 tbsp 2tbspall purpose flour
- 4 oz 4ozwhite chocolate
- 2-1/2 tsp 2-1/2tspsalt, divided
- 1-1/2 tsp 1-1/2tspfreshly ground black pepper, divided
- 6 cups 6cupsleeks, white and light green parts, julienned (about 3 medium leeks)
- 3 cups 3cupscarrotcarrots, julienned (about 4 large carrots)
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupspanko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupsesame seeds
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupfreshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tbsp 4tbspfresh flat-leaf parsley, minced
- 2 tbsp 2tbspfresh tarragon leaffresh tarragon leaves, chopped
- 3 cloves 3clovesgarlic, minced
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place 8 individual gratin dishes on two sheet pans.
For the sauce and seafood:
1. Combine the stock, clam juice, cream, 1 cup of the wine, the tomato puree, grated ginger, Wasabi paste, grated apple and saffron in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat. Cook gently for about 10 minutes, until the apple is soft.
2. Add the shrimp to the sauce. Simmer gently for 3 minutes and remove to a bowl.
3. Add the halibut to the sauce. Simmer gently for about 3 minutes, until just cooked through, and remove to the same bowl.
4. Add the cooked crab to the same bowl.
5. Reduced sauce by half, about 12 minutes.
6. Combine 2 tablespoon of the butter together with the flour.
7. Whisk the butter mixture into the sauce along with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
8. Add the white chocolate and whisk to incorporate and melt all the chocolate.
9. Set aside.
For the vegetables:
10. Melt 8 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saute pan. Add the leeks and carrots and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, until softened.
11. Add the remaining ¼ cup of wine, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Simmer gently until almost all the liquid is gone, about 5 to 7 minutes.
12. Set aside.
For the topping:
13. Combine the panko, Parmesan, parsley, tarragon, and garlic.
14. Melt the remaining 5 tablespoons of butter and mix into the crumbs to moisten.
Assembly and Cooking:
15. Divide the seafood among the 8 gratin dishes.
16. Divide the vegetables on top if each dish.
17. Pour the sauce equally over the seafood and vegetables.
18. Put the topping evenly on top of each dish.
19. Bake for approximately 25 minutes, until the sauce is browned and bubbling.
Optional Recipe: White Pearl Trout Gratin
- Replace all the fish and seafood with 3 lb of trout filet cut into one inch squares.
- Replace the flour with ground almonds.
- Replace the sesame seeds with slivered almonds.
Additional information : Contest recipe category: Fish and Shellfish
Source : danielpdixon