It's a jungle out there! This season the runways showcased a variety of animal prints. From classic leopard printed on calf hair separates at Tom for to abstract giraffe patterns seen at Burberry. Pretty much all the top tier designers had a dash of animal prints—everything from neutral palettes of grey and beige to other worldly electric colours and shiny surfaces. If you're new to animal prints stick with the tamed version—which is the neutral kind. There's nothing overtly sexy about these spots and scales, especially when found on wardrobe basics like cardigans and pencil skirts. That being said, they add quite a bit of elegance an interest to a look. Appropriate for work, weekend, evening and everywhere in-between.
Get the tamed animal print look:
- Leopard hair calf skinny belt, $55, bananarepublic.ca.
- Python printed smoking flats, $59.90, zara.com.
- Animal Print Pencil Skirt, $39, joefresh.com.
- Wilfred Leopard Rectangle gauzy scarf, $68, aritzia.com.
- Diane Von Furstenberg Leopard Print Coat, $860, thebay.com.
On the other side of the spectrum we have eccentric animal prints. These wilder versions are found in mega-watt colours and in many abstract iterations. These over-the-top offerings make a real statement but should be reserved for weekends and wild parties—or many just dinner with your girls.
Get the wild animal print look:
- Simon Chang watch, $98, sears.com.
- M Missoni crocodile print dress, $626, farfetch.com.
- Sohpia Webster Marissa pump sandals, $795, thebay.com.
- Marni Clutch with flap closure, $450, holtrenfrew.com.
- Electric leopard pencil skirt, $10, forever21.com.
- Sheriff & Cherry Tritone Wild Cat Sunglasses, $115, shopbop.com.