Decorating ideas: How to make your space look and feel like a spa
• Dress your bathroom with candles, scents and flowers.
• Whip up one or two of our simple homemade facials (see recipes on Page 2).
• Set out a bunch of Popsicle sticks in a wine glass for applying facial treatments and a stack of face towels for cleaning off. Your guests can take turns between other treatments such as pedicures, etc.
• Home foot spas are available everywhere from Wal-Mart to Canadian Tire. Set one up with big towels for drying feet, a bunch of emery boards, foot cream and nail polish – ask your friends to bring their favourite shade to share. Make sure to rinse out the foot spa between treatments to avoid any contamination.
• Set up a home paraffin kit for soft hands all around. Different types are available at drugstores and beauty supply stores.
• If you want to go all out, hire a masseuse for the afternoon to give head and neck massages. If you have the space, you can let your guests know ahead of time and have appointments booked for specific services. If you share this luxurious service it will be less expensive for everyone.
• Our entertaining section has great ideas on how to turn your luxury day into a spa party.
Homemade facial recipes
Facials are quick to make and fun to participate in, especially when you aren't the only one covered in avocado! These facials will leave your skin sparkling and refreshed:
Page 1 of 2 – Check out four great homemade facial treatment recipes on Page 2
Banana Oatmeal Mask
Bananas have fruit acids that help slough off dead skin; this facial energizes the complexion and makes your face feel great!
• 1 medium to large banana; soft and peeled
• 1/3 to 1/2 cup oatmeal
Mash the oatmeal into the soft peeled banana a little at a time. Continue until all of the oatmeal is moistened. Apply to your face evenly, leaving it on for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with warm water or soft wash cloth.
Nourishing Facial Mask
Does your face need a nourishment break? Try this mask.
• 1 egg
• 1 tsp almond oil
• 1 tbsp half and half
Combine the ingredients and apply to your face. Leave on for about 15 minutes. Remove with cool water.
Avocado Facial Mask
This is one of those masks that leave your skin very soft to touch.
Mash avocado and apply evenly to your face. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with cool water or soft wash cloth.
Offer this spritzer to your guest to refresh after or instead of their facial:
• 2 cups boiling water
• 1 vitamin C (a preservative)
• Lemon peel (zest) from 2 lemons
Dissolve the vitamin in water. In a glass bowl put the lemon zest and pour the water over them. Let it sit over night. Remove the zest and put in a spray bottle. You can use any type of citrus peel.
Want to create the whole spa experience for your girlfriends in your living room? Click to read our companion article – The spa party!