1. For a work party: Keep it professional. That means adding a sparkly piece or two to an outfit that you would otherwise feel comfortable wearing in the office.
Start with a pair of sequin trousers or a below-the-knee skirt.
Add a black blazer or long vest with a light-hued shirt or blouse.
Finish with festive heels and jewellery—have some fun with these pieces!
23 sparkly necklaces, bracelets, rings and earrings
Clockwise from left: Sequin legging, $80, express.com. Studio waistcoat with back opening, $159, zara.com/ca. Chiffon blouse, $25, hm.com/ca. Strappy heels, $138, michaelkors.ca. Earrings, $13, hm.com/ca.
2. For church: Sparkle is appropriate for church in small doses. Stick to simple details on a sweater or top, then add elegant, feminine extras. Think ballerina style—a skirt with ballet flats—for a sweet, modest look and stick to rich jewel tones or dark shades.
Start with a long-sleeved sweater or blouse with a bit of bling sewn on the front, collar or shoulders.
Add a pleated or pencil skirt that hits below the knees, for modesty's sake.
Finish with ballet flats, sparkly earrings and a box clutch or small shoulder bag.
Clockwise from top left: Sweater, $220, jcrew.com. Metallic pleat skirt, $44, joefresh.com. Resin box and chain clutch, $118, canada.frenchconnection.com. Patent flats, $65, aldoshoes.com. Earrings, $15, additionelle.com.
Top it off with a new coat! Here are some of our favourites.
3. For a casual holiday get-together: The party may be casual, but that doesn't mean you have to show up in sweats. Instead pair a sparkly camisole with dark-wash jeans. You'll look put together, but won't appear overdressed.
First, choose a sequin tank top or T-shirt in your favourite colour. Naturally, navy and black are always slimming.
Choose a flattering pair of jeans. Flare jeans elongate, but they require heels. If you prefer to wear flats, choose a skinny or straight-leg cut.
Add jewellery, a glittery clutch and dark heels or flats to keep the look clean and streamlined.
Clockwise from left: Sequin tulip-back cami, $30, forever21.com. Lariat necklace, US$48, baublebar.com. Glitter jewel clutch, $68, asos.com. Flare jeans, $50, zara.com/ca. Platform heels, $50, hm.com/ca.
4. For a semi-formal dinner: Off to a dinner party with family or friends? Try a sequin skirt with a basic top and pointy-toed heels for a totally polished look that's effortlessly cool.
Start with a pencil skirt covered in sequins.
Add a cozy cashmere sweater. An oversized silhouette will balance a slim skirt. If you prefer a full skirt, try a fitted sweater.
Skip flats, as heels dress up this look. Add a clutch (sparkle in a muted hue is subtly festive) and one or two pieces of jewellery—not more.
Clockwise from left: Coast Anderson sequin skirt, $213, asos.com. Slouchy turtleneck, $29, joefresh.com. Bracelets, $12, callitspring.com. Glitter small pouch, $50, bananarepublic.ca. Ivanka Trump multi-strap heels, $195, townshoes.ca.
5. For a glam New Year's Eve party: Dressing for a party doesn't have to be difficult. A dress with a bit of bling is the easiest route, then add fun shoes and a decorative clutch.
Start with a dress—any shape or size will do! We love this sheath because the black panels on the sides are slimming, but a full-skirted frock or a longer silhouette could be perfect for a glam party as well.
If your dress is a muted colour, add a pop of red, yellow or cobalt with your shoes and handbag. If your dress is bright or printed, try a dark or nude clutch and pumps.
Clockwise from left: Lunar sparkle dress, $198, canada.frenchconnection.com. Embellished clutch, $79, asos.com. Heels, $50, callitspring.com.
16 holiday cocktail dresses under $200
20+ little black dresses for every shape
12 plus-size cocktail dresses under $200
Follow our new Instagram account, @CLxStyle!