Everyone's favourite sweet popcorn treat just got a little bit sweeter and festive thanks to added candy-coated chocolate candies.
- Prep time 25 minutes
- Total time 40 minutes
Position racks in top and bottom thirds of oven; preheat to 300°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
In saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add popcorn kernels; cover. Holding lid in place, shake pan frequently until popping slows, about 2 minutes; transfer to bowl, discarding any unpopped kernels.
In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add sugar and corn syrup; bring to boil. Cook, stirring frequently, until amber, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla, salt and baking soda. Add pretzels, peanuts and popcorn; stir to coat. Transfer to prepared pans. Bake, stirring every 5 minutes, until mixture is well coated in caramel, about 12 minutes. Remove from oven; immediately sprinkle with chocolate candies (if using). Continue to stir as mixture cools.
Test Kitchen Tip:
Make your own cone for gifting the popcorn. Here’s how.
1. Cut light- or medium-weight decorative paper into 81⁄2-inch squares.
2. Working with 1 square at a time, hold bottom left corner and roll paper into a cone. Secure seam using double-sided tape.
3. Line cone with plastic wrap, if desired. Fill with popcorn.
4. Fold top flap over and seal with double-sided tape.
5. Decorate with ribbon or cord and affix gift tag, if desired.
Makes 12 servings (about 16 cups).
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Fibre 2 g
- Sodium 205 mg
- Sugars 26 g
- Protein 4 g
- Calories 294
- Total fat 15 g
- Potassium 72 mg
- Cholesterol 21 mg
- Saturated fat 7 g
- Total carbohydrate 37 g
- Iron 6
- Folate 8
- Calcium 2
- Vitamin A 7
- Vitamin C 1