Master the (very simple!) art of crêpe-making and you've got endless possibilities, both savoury and sweet. The thin unleavened pancakes are an ideal base for everything from veggies and meat to fruit and chocolate.
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine
In bowl, whisk flour with salt. In separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and half of the butter; pour over flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Strain through fine-mesh sieve. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
Heat 10-inch (25 cm) nonstick skillet or crêpe pan over medium heat. Brush skillet with some of the remaining butter. Pour scant 1/3 cup batter into centre of skillet, tilting and swirling to coat bottom.
Cook, flipping when edge begins to curl away from skillet, until set and edge is light golden, about 90 seconds.
Transfer to plate; cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter, brushing skillet with remaining butter between each crêpe.
Make-ahead: Layer between parchment paper and wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for up to 24 hours or freeze in airtight container for up to 1 month. Reheat in microwave or remove plastic wrap, cover in foil and heat in oven until warm.
Change it up: The Ultimate Chocolate Crêpes
Reduce flour to 1 cup. Add 1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted; and 3 tbsp granulated sugar to flour mixture. Continue with recipe.
Wrap up or stack your crêpes with these flavourful filling suggestions.
• bacon + grilled chicken + avocado + tomato + lettuce + mayo
• steamed asparagus + Swiss cheese + b?chamel sauce
• ham + sauteed mushrooms + Brie
• smoked salmon + crême fraîche + dill
• cherries + sweetened mascarpone + melted dark chocolate (Tip: Use The Ultimate Chocolate Crêpes)
• squeeze of lemon juice + sugar
• saut?ed apple slices + maple syrup + whipped cream
• berry jam + ice cream + icing sugar
Nutritional facts per crepe: about
- Fibre 1 g
- Sodium 133 mg
- Sugars 2 g
- Protein 6 g
- Calories 146.0
- Total fat 6 g
- Potassium 103 mg
- Cholesterol 97 mg
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Total carbohydrate 16 g
- Iron 9.0
- Folate 19.0
- Calcium 6.0
- Vitamin A 9.0