These treats are quick and easy to make and decorate. So keep the kids as busy as a beaver with an afternoon of fun.
- Portion size 12 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine
1. In small bowl, whisk cocoa with 3/4 cup (175 mL) boiling water; let cool.
In separate bowl, whisk together eggs, half of the cooled cocoa mixture and vanilla; set aside.
In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. On low speed, beat in butter and remaining cocoa mixture until combined. Increase speed to medium; beat for 1 minute. Gradually beat in egg mixture, scraping side of bowl as necessary. Divide among 12 large paper-lined muffin cups, smoothing tops.
2. Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pans; let cool completely on racks. (Make-ahead: Wrap individually in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Or overwrap in heavy-duty foil and freeze for up to 2 weeks.)
3. Chocolate Icing: In bowl, beat butter until fluffy; gradually beat in cream. Beat in maple extract. Beat in sugar, 1/2 cup (125 mL) at a time. Beat in chocolate until fluffy. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; beat before using.) Spoon 1/3 cup (75 mL) of the icing into piping bag fitted with small plain tip; set aside for decorating face.
4. Cut tops off each cupcake level with top of paper liner; cut one-third off each top, reserving large piece.
Spread rounded 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the remaining icing over each cupcake and reserved large piece. Stand cut edge of piece on edge of cupcake for face, supporting piece with small dollop of icing.
5. Decorations: Press 2 candy-sprinkled dark chocolates on face for eyes. Using reserved icing, pipe dot on each chocolate; press on quins for pupils.
With serrated knife, halve 1 cashew lengthwise; press half below eyes with curve facing up for nose. Cut remaining cashew half in half crosswise; press above eyes for ears.
With offset spatula, smooth icing at cheeks. Starting at nose, pipe reserved icing in swoop along each edge of cupcake for jowls.
Press almonds into icing below nose for teeth.
6. Using 2-1/2-inch (6 cm) plain teardrop cutter, cut out tail from each biscuit. Pipe line of icing around edge of tail; pipe diamond pattern in centre. Press onto cupcake behind face.
Nutritional facts Per cupcake: about
- Sodium 125 mg
- Protein 2 g
- Calories 228.0
- Total fat 14 g
- Cholesterol 44 mg
- Saturated fat 8 g
- Total carbohydrate 26 g
- Iron 9.0
- Folate 5.0
- Calcium 3.0
- Vitamin A 10.0