The classic recipe as featured in our Test Kitchen Video: How to cook a turkey
- Portion size 8 servings
Method1. Herbed Stuffing: In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; fry onions, celery, fennel, sage, salt, savory, marjoram, pepper and thyme, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to large bowl. Add bread and parsley; toss to combine. Set aside.
2. Remove giblets and neck from turkey; place in large saucepan and set aside. Rinse turkey inside and out; dry skin and cavity well. Loosely fill body cavity with stuffing; tuck legs under band of skin or tie together with string. Tuck wings underneath if desired. Place turkey, breast side up, on rack on roasting pan. Rub all over with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Tent with foil, dull sides out, leaving sides open. Roast in 325ºF (160ºC) oven for about 3 hours or until instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh registers 185°F (85°C) hours, basting if desired. Let stand on platter, lightly covered, for 20 minutes before carving.
4. Stock: Meanwhile to saucepan with turkey parts, add stock, wine, onion, carrot and celery; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and skim off fat; simmer for 3 hours. Strain into measuring cup, adding enough wine to make 3 cups (750 mL); set aside.
5. Gravy: Skim off fat in roasting pan. Stir flour into pan; cook over medium heat, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in stock and bring to boil, stirring to scrape up brown bits; reduce heat and simmer for minutes. Whisk in butter, salt and pepper. Strain if desired.
6. With carving knife and fork, cut legs from turkey, twisting loose if necessary. Cut thigh from drumstick at joint; carve dark meat from each piece. Cut off wings. With tip of knife toward body cavity, carve breast thinly, gradually angling knife to slice thick part of breast.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 1506 mg
- Protein 57 g
- Calories 671.0
- Total fat 32 g
- Cholesterol 185 mg
- Saturated fat 16 g
- Total carbohydrate 36 g
- Iron 43.0
- Folate 41.0
- Calcium 15.0
- Vitamin C 18.0